Founder-Director, Swayambhu Foundation (I)
Diinesh Yadav is a graduate of NSD and LAMDA and has been involved in theatre making for more than ten years. A doctorate in Chemistry (2008) and Theatre (2017), Yadav has worked in various capacities in the media of theatre and films. Some of his directorial works in theatre include Aab E – Zindagi, Ali Baba and Forty Thieves, Seagull, Holi, The Miser, Juta Abishkar, Geet Govind, The Story of Ram and Sita, Mukhyamantri, Pagadi Project, Dumb Waiter and Jogiyar Mahabharata. Musical Productions are his forte. His design works varies from Son et lumiere to scenography and thyme based design. He has exhibited in the World Stage Design 2013 (Cardiff UK), Prague Quadrennial (Czech Republic) in 2007, 2011 and 2015 respectively. His work has been part of many national and international theatre festivals. He is the founder member of the Swayambhu Foundation (I); an organization of artists, painters, scholars and technicians and Artistic Director of Repertory Company “Swayambhu Repertory”.
I have a deep interest in ‘cross-border culture’ and the knowledge of everyday.
My subject matters are contemporary everyday issues which swing between public to private. In my art I like to capture the hidden meanings of mundane people and places. For me performance art is about four things: time, space, body or medium and relationship between performer and audiences and I oscillate among these four in my work. I invite the inputs of technologists, philosophers, scientists, cleaners, mechanics, musicians, and any other expert with a specialized knowledge who confront us in our everyday lives. I work across cultures and media; both these are conduits, receptors, compressors, broadcasters at once. What especially interests me in my work is the articulation of ‘consequence’ which ‘acts’ as a trigger, from one part of the world to another.
- Dumb Waiter (Harold Pinter): Direction, Swayambhu Repertory Company New Delhi. Lok Kala Mandal, December 2016.
- Jogiyar Mahabharata (A Musical): Original Music, Script conceived and created, Swayambhu Repertory Company New Delhi. February 2016.
- Mukhyamantri (Chankya Sen): Direction and Scenography, Hindi Drama Club BITS Pilani. February 2013.
- Pagadi Project (Installation Performance): Original Concept and creation, Swayambhu Foundation (I). January 2013.
- Camino Real (Tennessee Williams): Associate Director and Acting Coach, National School of Drama, New Delhi. September 2012.
- The Bee Story (Leather Shadow Puppet Show): Original story and direction, Asian Heritage Foundation New Delhi. March 2012.
- Geet Govind (A Musical): Original concept and direction, Swayambhu Foundation (I), New Delhi. February 2012.
- Juta Abishkar (Rabindranath Tagore): Conceived and Created, Children’s Theatre National School of Drama, Sikkim. August 2011.
- Ali Baba and Forty Thieves (A Musical, Arabian Nights): Conceived and Created, Children’s Theatre NSD. June 2010.
- The Miser (Moliere): Direction and Design, School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi. August 2009.
- Holi (Mahesh Elkunchwar): Direction and Design, Sriram Centre for Performing Arts, New Delhi. September 2008.
- Aab-E-Zindagi (A Musical): Original Story, Score and Direction, National School of Drama, New Delhi. May 2007.
- Matru Ki Bijlee Ka Mandola directed by Vishal Bhardwaj Produced by VBPPL
- Delhi in a Day directed by Prashant Nair Produced by NOMAD PRODUCTION
- Chintoo Ji directed by Ranjit Kapoor Produced by Bobby Bedi
- Aloo Chaat directed by Robby Grewal Produced by Red Eye Production Pvt. Ltd
- Chapter 3 directed by Shrikant Agawane produced by SRFTI